Monday, March 21, 2011

WYM: Get Your Brit On Edition

This week is an interesting week, becaus it is the first time I'm handing over the reigns to somebody else for a post here for WYM. In the past I have noted when a song was introduced to me by a friend or my brother, but never have I ever let THEM pick the songs. So today is a first, we will have Rebecca, from http://rebecca-books.blogspot.com post some hot tunes from the UK. Get ready:



~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Hello blogosphere! *waves* Okay so I'm very excited to have been asked by Nessie to be asked to do this post. I live in England so there are some bands over here that are just based...well here. Or haven't met the rest of the world just yet. SO, my theme is going to be British bands/artists that I'm (or the UK) is loving at the moment. This could be fun. So here we go *opens iTunes*:

Monday: White Lies - Farewell to the Fairground

Random I know but I love this band and this tune. This Ealing born (suburbs of London) band have been nominated for lots of awards so far including 2009 'One to Watch' Brit Award. Brit Awards for those that don't know are like the Grammys of the United Kingdom.
They've just released another album, Bigger Than Us, which also has some good songs on there but this at the moment is my favourite out of these. I'm seen them twice live and they are pretty good. I love the tune and the bass to this. The lyrics are also nice. I find this best to listen to when walking to school, the continual drum beat kind of makes you do that pace so your foot is hitting the pavement when the drum goes and it does make you walk slightly faster....good when you're in a rush.

Tuesday: One Night Only - Say You Don't Want It

This is only the second release from this band, first being Just For Tonight which I loved. However, I loved this more. I first saw the video and was drawn to it because Emma Watson is featured in it. The main singer of the band was a Chanel model when she was so they are really good friends. The video is interesting to watch and has a nice ending - if you get it. Ask below if you don't and I'll comment to tell you it. I mostly like the beat and the lyrics - most of all the video though...Emma Watson looks so nice in it and it gives you a look at New York. I like it mostly because it's one of those different songs that you hear and the band members are...mm...nice. :)

Wednesday: Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up

This song reminds me of summer - something we all love right? From London, she is the granddaughter of Sylvia Young who has a famous acting school here in the UK and has, I think, a great voice which is also nice to listen to. The video and the song (and the lady herself) are quirky and different but not TOO different. She makes the song have a light, happy, care-free mood to it and every time I listen to it, I can't help singing badly to it. I personally cannot wait to get her album. I LOVE THIS SONG. (and thought she was from America but isn't...)

Thursday: Ellie Goulding - Your Song

Ellie Goulding burst into the music world nearly a year ago but now, she is one of the well-known singer/songwriters in the Uk at only aged 24 and can play a variety of different instruments for her songs. She isn't an overall favourite of mine but I prefer her slow songs like this one. This is a cover of the original by Elton John by the same name but she adds a personal twist to it by making it seem more soulful. I love the video of her with friends and making it not so staged. It will adds to the effect of the song. This song is great to listen to when you just want a little rest with a nice, quiet, cheery song.

Friday: Take That - The Flood

Take That are more of a famous band from the UK from when they were around in the early 90's. Now they are back with the latest addition of Robbie Williams and brought out a new album, Progress, which became the fasted selling of 2010. I personally have it as my mother loves them as well as me. This song is one of the best on the album and is a typical Take That classic song. The lyrics are a little random and different but I love the tune and the beat. I especially love Gary Barlow's (the one with the blondish hair) little bit just before the main courus. This is another one to listen to when walking - it really does put you in a good mood.

Saturday: Manic Street Preachers - The Love of Richard Nixon

Yes this is a bit of an oldie and a bit of a weird choice but since my history teacher played this in class, I can't get it out my head. It's a song that basically rounds up the President Richard Nixon (from the 70's) when he had to reseign after being involved in the Watergate Scandal. To be honest, he's doesn't look trustworthy in one glance but anyway. I really like this song and yeah, I have checked, the Manic Street Preachers are English singing about an American issue. To be honest, I just like the beat and the lyrics on this one. Interesting video though.

Sunday: James Morrison - Please Don't Stop the Rain

This was a hard one as recently I got into James Morrison's stuff and I really like it. So I went for this one as it's slightly less famous than his other stuff. His music is so nice to listen to when you want to relax, sleep or on a train/bus when you're thankful you're nearly home because you're shattered. That's the time I listen to it. He has such a soulful listenable voice and his songs are so calming. And he writes some of them - it's his own work! This song has some lovely lyrics to listen or sing along to - it's definitely worth a listen even if it's not this one. But this one is one of my favourite :)

Anyway. If you've made it this far, well done and thank you for reading. Thank you also to Nessie for inviting me to guest post this feature. It's great!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

If you would like to check out Rebecca's blog, it's at http://rebecca-books.blogspot.com. She covers entertaining chick lit and posts about her life there as well. It's well worth browsing through!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to checking these out!

    ReplyDelete